Posted: June 2017
Position: Commercial BOTA Specialist (APR – Commercial & Property & Appraisal)
Location: Sunset Drive Office Building – Olathe, KS 66061
Pay Range: 17.17 Non-Exempt $25.86 – $35.56
Schedule: M-F 8-5 (40 hrs with full benefits)
Driving: 5% to 25%
Johnson County Office of the County Appraiser is looking for a qualified candidate to fill the position of a Commercial BOTA Specialist. The position is located at 11811 S Sunset Drive, Suite 2100, Olathe, KS 66061. This position provides excellent benefits, including health insurance, wellness programs and discounts, retirement programs, and various other discount programs.
The Commercial BOTA Specialist responsibilities include:
- Prepares and defends appeals for commercial real estate to be heard at the Board of Tax Appeals (BOTA); reviews and evaluates data submitted by property owners as well as property history; prepares critiques of appraisals or other evidence provided by taxpayer or their representative; reviews merits of cases and determines County’s value and appropriateness of pre-trial settlement; discusses findings with BOTA Supervisor and Manager of Commercial Real Estate and/or County Appraiser; prepares interrogatories and exhibits for appeals and works closely with in-house counsel on procedures and defense strategies; prepares documentation for judicial review at District Court, Board of Tax Appeals and/or Supreme Court; provides expert witness testimony subject to cross-examination into the system to ensure value changes are transmitted to Treasurer for adjustments to tax bills.
- Provides support to Commercial Appraisers in reviewing and defending values at the informal level, Small Claims or Payment Under Protest; develops and presents Small Claims appeal documentation and provides support to the Commercial Appraiser regarding property value; answers questions and accompanies Commercial Appraiser on property inspections; completes additional research to determine value parameters for various property types; discusses findings with staff and senior management and adjusts values.
- Works with the Commercial Appraisers to set value parameters to include establishing rents, vacancies, and expenses; provides support in developing capitalization rates; reviews comparable sales and establishes sale price ranges for each property type taking into consideration property characteristics; reviews land values with the Commercial Appraiser in charge of Special Projects; determines values based upon market value and equitability within function codes; includes all forms of depreciation for specific function codes not limited to property characteristics, classifications, rank, physical, and functional depreciation; reviews Market Summaries and provides input regarding inconsistency within the documents; stays current on market conditions for property type by reviewing market reports, webinars, and other publications; provides formal instruction to staff in areas of expertise.
- Responds to customer inquiries and answers questions; researches and provides records to property owners.
Minimum Job Requirements:
Bachelor’s degree in any subject, three years of commercial real estate mass appraisal experience, and Registered Mass Appraiser (RMA), equivalent Mass Appraisal Designation, or Certified General License is required. Must be capable of maneuvering and reviewing a construction site, able to lift 25 lbs., maintain a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record, and experienced user of Microsoft Office application, Pictometry (PICS), Automated Information Mapping System (AIMS), ORION or equivalent applications are also required.
Preferred Job Requirements:
Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Mathematics, or Statistics and Certified Assessment Evaluator (CAE) are preferred. If you meet the minimum requirements and are interested in this position, please apply on-line through the Applicant Tracking System https://jocogov.hua.hrsmart.com/hrsmart/ats/Posting/view/3261
We have adopted best practices by no longer posting the deadline (end date) to apply. Positions are always open for at least one week, and are sometimes open for two weeks or until filled. It is important that you apply as soon as possible if you are interested in a posted position. Internal candidates are able to view the hiring supervisor and HR Partner on all postings should there be any questions.
Posted: March 2016
Position: Real Estate Property Appraiser
Location: Platte City, Missouri
This a challenging and rewarding position, the responsibility of the Property Appraiser is to provide accurate property valuations in a professional, clear, consistent, and courteous manner.
- Conduct real estate field inspections to gather information regarding the size, type, quality, and materials used in building construction
- Analyze, collect and verify residential/commercial property assessment information
- Evaluate sales comparisons and cost approach
- Enters new property, fieldwork changes, and other real estate property record updates into the computer assisted mass appraisal (CAMA) system
- Utilize Assessor software to produce statistical and/or special studies
- Assist in valuing complex commercial real estate and work closely with property owners, builders, and developers
- Conduct informal and formal valuation hearings with taxpayers and tax consultants
- Prepare appraisals and defend assessed values for appeals to the Board of Equalization and the State Tax Commission
- Perform related work as required
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Working knowledge of MS Excel & Word.
- Solid written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent Customer Service & teamwork skills
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record.
- Ability to perform mathematical functions.
- Pass background check.
- Ability to professionally handle confrontation.
- Strong negotiation skills
- Knowledgeable of the income approach
- Demonstrated decision-making skills
- Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in Finance, Business or Accounting
- Missouri Licensed or Certified Appraiser
Apply via email: David Cox at firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply via US Mail: Attn: David Cox, 415 Third St. Rm. 114 Platte City, MO 64079
Commercial Appraiser I
Residential Ag Land Specialist
Commercial Appraiser I
Residential BOTA Specialist (904120.N. Residential BOTA Specialist)
Information System Analyst
Real Estate Appraiser (position filled)
Residential Real Estate Program Supervisor (position filled)